Horsegram / Kollu Dry Curry





After an exhausting couple of weeks, we have finally settled down after the long weekend. These past two weeks were especially busy for me with the golu preparations but it was very nice meeting all these nice ladies along with their kids and making new friends. Cooking was very elaborate most of the days and we organized some get-togethers too, so it is back to detox diet on alternate days and soups for dinners. Coming on to this recipe, this was a recipe idea that came on to me while we were trying to include horse gram at least twice a day in our diet. I usually follow the same recipe whenever I make butterbeans or whole masoor dhal curry. This time I used horse gram instead. It was good and it paired perfectly with chapathis and rice. For rice, I usually serve this as a side dish with rasam and chips.  Surprisingly, the kiddos liked it too!


Ingredients:
1. Horse gram, 1 cup, soaked for 3-4 hours, washed and cooked until just tender. I pressure cooked them for 15 minutes for up to 5 whistles.
2. Onions, 2, medium size, diced.
3. Tomato, 2, medium size, chopped.
4. Curry leaves, a sprig.
5. Chopped cilantro, 1/4 cup for garnishing.
6. Fennel seeds, 1/4 teaspoon.
7. Chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon.
8. Coriander powder, 1/2 teaspoon.
9.  Turmeric powder, a pinch.
10. Garam masala, 1/2 teaspoon.
11. Salt, as per taste.
12. Ginger-garlic paste, 1/2 teaspoon.

Procedure:
Heat a pan with a tablespoon of oil. Add the fennel seeds and fry for a few seconds. Now add the diced onions and sauté for a few minutes until they are translucent.  Add the diced tomatoes, curry leaves, and the ginger garlic paste and keep sautéing until everything is blended. Now add all the powders along with salt and mix everything well. Cook under low flame until the spices lose their raw smell. If needed, another tablespoon of oil can be added at this stage. Then add the cooked horse gram and mix everything gently. Cook closed for 5 minutes under low flame and garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with rice and rotis.

7 comments:

Uma Anandane said...

I remember this dish. It is my favourite dish but somehow I forget making it here in UK. Thanks for reminding me :)

Unknown said...

Healthy and delicious curry !

Remya said...

healthy

Remya said...

healthy

Sooriya said...

Love kollu chutney...Seeing this recipe makes me want to try curry too soon..!!

Fullscoops said...

Delicious and a healthy curry!

Unknown said...

Healthy recipe, will try next week for my kids