Horse Gram (Kollu) chutney


 I have been trying to include horse Gram (kollu) in our meals at least once a week for health reasons since this pulse is known for its weight loss and cholesterol lowering properties. I sometimes make rasam when we are coming down with cold and sometimes I make a simple kadayal. This recipe is similar to the usual Kara chutney that I make as a side dish for idils and dosas. I just substituted the urad dal for kollu this time. This chutney goes well as a side dish for rice as well.

Preparation:

Saute 2 tablespoons of horse Gram with a tablespoon of oil in low to medium flame until the pulses start popping. Remove them to a plate and saute two dried red chilies and small piece of ginger for a minute and let everything cool. Once cooled grind everything with some salt and a cup of grated coconut or half of a small coconut. Season with spluttered mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves.

No comments: