Mixed Vegetable Soup
This is a favorite soup in my house loved by all. This makes a healthy and filling lunch or dinner when paired with a grilled cheese sandwich. I usually use crusty wholegrain bread for the sandwich, so that it doesn't get too soggy when the sandwich is dipped in the soup. To change the taste a little bit, I also sometimes add a little fennel powder since my kids love this taste. This also a good way to use up all the leftover vegetables and also make the kids eat more veggies.
Variation: Instead of a sandwich you also add some pasta and let it cook along with the soup for a complete meal. I even mix it rice (brown rice also works great here) for the kids sometimes and serve it along with some potato chips.
1. Onion, medium size, 1, diced.
2. Tomatoes, 2, with the skin peeled and diced. ( To peel the skin of the tomatoes, make a X mark on the back of the tomatoes and drop them in boiling hot water for 10 seconds. Remove them from the hot water and drop them immediately in a ice bath to prevent the tomatoes from cooking. The skin will come off easily now).
3. Garlic, 2 cloves, crushed. (1/2 teaspoon of ginger-garlic paste can also be used).
4. Any soup seasoning mix, 1/2 teaspoon along with a pinch of dried herbs of choice. I have used dried parsley here.
5. Any preferred vegetables, chopped, 1 cup. I have used cabbage, carrots, green beans, cauliflower and peas here.
6. Salt, as per taste.
7. Fennel powder, 1/4 teaspoon (optional).
9. Grated parmesan cheese 1/4 cup.
Heat a pot with a tablespoon of oil. Once the oil turns hot, add the diced onions and sauté for a few minutes until tender. Then add the crushed garlic and chopped tomatoes and keep sautéing under low flame until everything is blended. Add the seasoning mix, dry herbs. salt, and the vegetables and add 3 cups of water. Cook closed for 7-8 minutes until the vegetables are cooked. Mix in the cheese now and serve hot with any crusty breads or grilled cheese sandwich or over rice.
Cooking and trying out new recipes is my passion. I come from a family with where type 2 diabetes is very common and we have lost many loved one due to complications of this disease. This blog is my humble attempt to create low-carb and healthy dishes and well as healthy lifestyle tips suitable for diabetics. This blog is to prove that healthy, primarily diabetic-friendly foods, can be tasty as well. Kuhapriyai @ Gita