EGG KURMA


EGG KURMA
This is a favorite dish of my husband. I learnt to make this dish from my mother-in-law after marriage. Since my husband is a vegetarian (though he eats eggs), my MIL used to make this on Sundays to go with idlis and dosas. This was new to me as I had never had kurma for idlis or dosas. After tasting it for the first time, I got hooked on to this dish. Now-a-days, egg kurma is a part of Sunday brunch for us. When we were in India I used fresh coconut but in US I started using coconut milk for kurmas. The taste is same as using fresh coconut. Here goes the recipe.

INGREDIENTS:
Onion, medium-sized, 1.
Tomato, 1.
Ginger-garlic paste, 1 teaspoon.
Cinnamon, 1 small stick.
Fennel seeds, ½ teaspoon.
Bay leaf, 1.
Eggs, 4.
Coconut milk, 1 cup (or) fresh coconut ground with khus-khus into a smooth paste, 1 cup.
Chili powder, 2 teaspoons.
Coriander powder, 1 teaspoon.
Turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon.
Salt, as per taste.
Curry leaves and cilantro for seasoning.

PREPARATION:
Chop the onion and tomato and keep aside. Heat a pan with some oil. When the oil is hot enough, add the fennel seeds, cinnamon stick, and bay leaf and fry them for 1 minute. Add the chopped onion and tomato and sauté for few minutes. Then add ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a minute until everything is well blended. Add the chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and fry for a minute until the raw smell of the spices goes. Add 1 cup of coconut milk with ½ cup of water with salt and cook over a medium flame for 10 minutes. When the kurma starts to thicken break 4 eggs into the kurma. The eggs should not be mixed with the kurma. They should be left whole. Cook them closed for 5-8 minutes. When the eggs are cooked, they start to float on the top. Serve hot with idlis or dosas.

No comments: