KATHRIKAI MURUNGAKAI PORIYAL (EGGPLANT AND DRUMSTICK CURRY)




KATHRIKAI MURUNGAKAI PORIYAL (EGGPLANT AND DRUMSTICK CURRY)

This is my mom’s favorite poriyal. She makes this often. I never liked this poriyal that much before I got marriage. These days, I am crazy about eggplants and it has been one of my favorite veggies ever since. There are different variations to this poriyal. My mil adds tomato to this poriyal and sometimes my mom adds a potato cut into small cubes and then tops it off with grated coconut. It tastes great both ways. I make it with a slight twist by adding a teaspoon of sambar powder.

This is my entry for Fall in love with Brinjal event hosted by Sanghi from http://www.sanghi-tastybites.blogspot.com/

INGREDIENTS:
Eggplants, medium-sized, 3. If Japanese eggplants are used, only one is required.
Drumsticks, 2. (choose drumsticks with medium to thin stalks). Precut frozen drumsticks are available in regular Indian stores.
Small onions, 2.
Mustard seeds, ¼ teaspoon.
Ginger-garlic paste, 1 teaspoon.
Chili powder, 1 teaspoon.
Coriander powder, 2 teaspoons.
Sambar powder, 1 teaspoon (optional).
Salt as per taste.
Curry leaves and cilantro for garnishing.

PREPARATION:
Dice the onion finely. Cut the drumsticks into long thin pieces. If a thick drumsticks are used, peel the other skin. Cut the eggplant into small pieces and put them in cold water to prevent them from blackening. Heat a pan with some oil. When the oil turns hot enough, add the mustard seeds and let it splutter. Then add the diced onions and sauté for a few minutes until the onions turn brown. Then add the drumsticks, along with the powders, ginger-garlic paste, and salt as per taste. Add enough water just to cover the drumstick and cook closed under medium flame for 10 minutes until the drumsticks are well cooked. Then add the chopped eggplant pieces and mix well. Cook closed under low-to-medium flame until the eggplants are tender and the curry is dry. Switch off the stove, garnish the dish with curry leaves and cilantro and serve hot with rice or chapathis.

Variation: The drumsticks can be cooked in microwave and then added along with eggplants to reduce cooking time.

42 comments:

Laavanya said...

My mom makes this too and like you, i was never crazy for it - maybe I should give it another chance now :)

Shama Nagarajan said...

nice yummy poriyal dear...

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Yummy combo. Looks delicious.

Nithya said...

very new combo and looks too good. will try it out soon. :)

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

very nice... I love both the vegetables...

lissie said...

easy and yummy poriyal...so creative of you!

Lissie
http://saltandspice.org/

Varsha Vipins said...

mmmmmm..I am missing muringakai here dear..dont get good ones..amazing poriyal..:)

Nithya Praveen said...

Yummmm my fav veggie too:).Never mixed these two veggies...looks wonderful.Bookmarked!

Vikis Kitchen said...

Oh! my favorite dish too da. Thanks for reminding. Now I wish to shop for drumstick. Ur poriyal looks awesome.

Vani said...

Eggplant and drumstick - nice combi!

Ashwini said...

this is great combo..goes well with rasam rice. my mom used to make it..

Vrinda said...

Never tried this combo ,sounds tasty..

Yasmeen said...

Sounds like a yum combo,haven't tried it before.Must be delicious with rice and sambhar.

Sanghi said...

Delicious one, thanks for the entry!

Pooja said...

Wow looks so yummy! This is a combo that I have never tried before!

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Very delightful poriyal. Nice entry for the event.

vidhas said...

Lovley combibation. Picture is so tempting.

chef and her kitchen said...

That sounds like a yummy combo....never tried it..looks yummy

Anonymous said...

Healthy combination...perfecr entry for the event!

Parita said...

This combination is new to me, dont get drumsticks here that often, but will make next time when ihave them :)

Anonymous said...

Thats true Gita,at a time we hate some veggies and later we are into them..and when we go away from home,the real liking begins..lovely
This flavour will be fine I think.havent tried though.

Anonymous said...

Awesome poriyal,both are my fav.

Raks said...

ya,me too hated many dishes/veggies before marriage,but now a days my taste too changed:)

This is an awesome combo and adding sambhar powder sure enhances the taste and flaovr!

ARUNA said...

that's a really nice combination Gita.....i love it! Curry looks great.

ST said...

I'm smacking my lips at the thought of eating this :)

Mangala Bhat said...

Hey Gita ..soo sorry i missed ..soo many recipes there .will surely check back .
Hey Yummy combo ...Looks soo good .
Thanks for ur comments@ my blog keep visitng

Usha said...

What an interesting combination, I have never tried murungakai and kathrikai together, looks inviting !

lubnakarim06 said...

Never had this combo....looks yum....

Kalyani said...

love the vegetables .... delicious too ..........

Astra Libris said...

Mmmm, I adore eggplant - it's one of my favorite veggies too! :-) Your dish sounds amazing!

Prasukitchen.blogspot.com said...

Nice blog Gita i loved it ...

Chef Jeena said...

This looks really tasty Gita no wonder is is now one of your favourites. :-)

Vaishali said...

Drumsticks are one of Desi's favorite foods, and we both love eggplant, so I was delighted to see your recipe that combines both. This looks super delicious, Gita.

Andhra Flavors said...

looks delicious! you have wonderful space here.

Deepthi Shankar said...

nice dish .. new combo for me

Unknown said...

hummm gita I to make this almost like you but your mother and MIL version is little interesting naa great side dish mmmm mouthwatering yum.

Dhanya Ganesh said...

Nice and delicious looking poriyal :).

Unknown said...

Eggplant and drumstick make a great combo!

Faiza Ali said...

Nice combination and looks yummy :)

amna said...

awesome combo!!

Anonymous said...

Recently I visited a south indian family and they served us dinner with Kathirikai Poriyal.I loved it,and when asked the ingredients,she told me that it was made from potato,eggplant and capsicum.
But I dont know the complete receipe.
Could you tell me the complete recipe of Kathirikai Poriyal?

Anonymous said...

Recently I visited a south indian family and they served us dinner with Kathirikai Poriyal.I loved it,and when asked the ingredients,she told me that it was made from potato,eggplant and capsicum.
But I dont know the complete receipe.
Could you tell me the complete recipe of Kathirikai Poriyal?