QUINOA PULAV




QUINOA PULAV
I started cooking with quinoa recently only after hearing the benefits about this super grain. This is my first attempt cooking with quinoa. I added only garam masala powder since the grains were very small and I didn’t want to bite into whole spices. If needed, a bay leaf can be added while cooking and removed just before serving. It did taste pretty good and the pulav was not too mushy. This can be had with a simple raita and pickle since quinoa is already a protein source and pairing it with chicken or fish is not ideal. Any vegetable side dish like baigan bhartha goes well with this pulav. Here are some interesting facts about quinoa: Quinoa contains all 9 essential amino acids that are required by the body as building blocks for muscles.It has magnesium, fiber, manganese and copper.
INGREDIENTS:
Quinoa, 1 cup.
Red onion, medium size, 1.
Roma tomatoes, 2.
Green chilies, 2-3.
Chopped vegetables like green beans, cauliflower, carrots around 1 cup.
Green peas, ¼ cup.
Ginger-garlic paste, 1 teaspoon.
Turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon.
Chili powder, ½ teaspoon.
Garam masala powder, 2 teaspoons.
Salt as per taste.
Chopped mint and cilantro, 1 cup.
Water, 1-3/4 cups.
Salt as per taste.

PREPARATION:
Wash the quinoa grains well and soak them water for 20 minutes. Dice the onion and tomatoes finely and slit the green chilies into two. Heat a pan with some oil. When the oil is hot enough, add the diced onions and sauté it for a few minutes. When the onions turn brown, add the diced tomatoes, green chilies, and ginger-garlic paste and keep sautéing until everything is well blended. Now add chili powder, garam masala, and turmeric powder along with the chopped vegetables and green peas and keep sautéing under medium flame until the veggies are partially cooked and the masala powders lose their raw smell. Add salt and water and let it come to a boil. Then lower the flame and add the quinoa grains and mix everything well. Cook closed under low flame for 10 minutes until the grains are cooked and the dish turns a little bit dry. Switch off the stove and let it cool for 5 minutes. Add the chopped mint and cilantro leaves and fluff the grains with the fork. Serve with raita and pickle.

38 comments:

PriyaRaj said...

this dish is new to me ...looks yum.......will tryit soon

Anonymous said...

Thats an interesting Pulao with Quinoa..would love to try sometime Gita.Thanks

Chitra said...

This is very new to me..looks healthy and nice :)

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

I have tagged you dear. Please collect it from my blog.

Padma said...

Pulao looks delicious and colorful Gita... nice recipe

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Looks so delicious and also so healthy one,.

Usha said...

Looks delicious, I have been using more of quinoa these days because it is so healthy too...

Astra Libris said...

YAY for quinoa! :-) I adore quinoa, and your recipe looks exceptionally delicious!

Priya Suresh said...

Wow wat a delicious and healthy pulao Gita, very innovative..

Shobana senthilkumar said...

I hv never heard abt this grain gita...wow..is it available in indian store?

Parita said...

Lovely pulav there..so healthy too :)

Chef Jeena said...

Great recipe Gita I love quinoa so I know I would love this tasty dish. :-)

Raks said...

Looks good,have not cooked Quinoa yet!!

Varsha Vipins said...

Love such healthy yet yummy dishes Gita..:)

Vijitha said...

Awesome geets!innovative as always

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow...that's an super healthy recipe...looks yummy....

Saritha said...

New to me,never heard of quinoa

Hari Chandana P said...

interesting dish Gita.. healthy and delicious pulav.. nice clicks!!

kitchen queen said...

This pulao looks colourful and delicious

Abhilash Pillai said...

Pulav with raita... good combo...


I normally prefer pulav with curd and achar...

:)

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

Great idea.. Looks great!

Naumene Karlapalem said...

gita,
wat is this quinoa?
responding after so many days. no internet at my place. today am back.
Hey "your bisi bela bath " is superb.
I did it the next day i came here and everybody became a great fan of it.
My family, my mom sissy family, my dad sissy and bro family alm ost 25 were at my place for our get together and everybody became fans to it. my dad's sissy wants "MAA TV" to invite to my place and introduce this new dish. She was saying "learn different dishes from mishu" thanks dear. u r sup
yours
MISHU

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

New to me. Looks nice and yummy.

priya said...

I wud like to gift u an award,dear...plz collect it frm my blog!

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Lovely-quinoa is such an amazing grain!!

amna said...

fusion food at its best :)

Lavanya Raj said...

Quinoa Pulao is interesting Gita! love all ur innovations with oats.

I have FEW AWARDS for you. Kindly Check my blog.

http://homecookreceipes.blogspot.com/2009/08/awards-and-meme.html

Vikis Kitchen said...

Quinoa is a new concept for me. But u are so creative in bringing out newer dishes with lot of health. I am admiring the way u presented its nutrition and recipe. Pulav looks so nice. Should try it as rice alternative soon:)

Yasmeen said...

I didn't find quinoa in stores yet.I love the idea of spicy pulav :D

Purva Desai said...

Quinoa is very healthy supplement to rice.....thank you for sharing such nutritrious dish

vidhas said...

new dish and looks yum and healthy.

Anonymous said...

Tnx for the lovely words on my blog dear.Every thing is ok now ...will come back within 2 months.Nice dish will try it soon.
with luv sangi

Indian Khana said...

Gud idea of using quinoa...this is the n recipe of quinoa am checking today..this is so gud ..

Sarah Naveen said...

this is a real new dish to me!!
Sounds gr8!!

Andhra Flavors said...

He, its new to me. looks intresting.

Cham said...

Never tried quinoa for pulav, great attempt:)

Preety said...

wow gr8 enties

Vani said...

I've been meaning to try quinoa for ages now but somehow never seem to get to it. This sounds really yum!