KUMQUAT PICKLE - SPICY
Looks like its kumquats season everywhere. I just couldn’t resist buying a big box of kumquats from the Chinese market where we do our weekly grocery purchase. Kumquats are very interesting fruits. The outer peel is edible and very sweet with the inside flesh a little bit sour. If something is sour, then there are chances that it could end up in a pickle ;) If you are a big fan of lemon pickles, you are sure to get crazy over these kumquats pickle. I have followed a very simple procedure here with some seasoning. I think this pickle can also be prepared the same way as usual Indian lemon pickles. The kumquats can also be left whole during pickling and pickle powder can also be added.
1. Kumquats, around 15.
2. Sesame oil, ¼ cup.
3. Mustard seeds, ¼ teaspoon,
4. Red chilies, 2.
5. Curry leaves, a few.
6. Chili powder, ½ teaspoon to 1 teaspoon depending upon preferred heat level.
7. Asafetida, a pinch.
8. Salt, ½ teaspoon.
Wash the kumquats well and cut them into halves or quarters (the halves can be soaked with another teaspoon of salt for an hour to two before pickling, we are cutting down on our salt intake, so I have omitted this step). Heat a pan with the sesame oil. Add the mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add the curry leaves and red chilies along with the asafetida and fry for a few seconds. Then add the chili powder and salt and let it fry in the oil for 203 seconds. Add the kumquats now and mix everything well. Keep cooking under low flame for 5-10 minutes until the kumquats are soft. Let it cool and transfer to an airtight container. This pickle stays fresh for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
- ► 2012 (9)
- MUTTAI SADAM/ EGG RICE
- MUSHROOM AND PEAS MASALA / GRAVY
- BROCCOLI PORIYAL/ STIR FRY
- TANDOORI CHICKEN
- BAKED BEANS – PRESSURE COOKER METHOD
- MIXED NUTS OATMEAL AND RAISIN COOKIES
- BOK CHOY KOOTU/DHAL - BOK CHOY WITH LENTILS
- KUMQUAT PICKLE - SPICY
- PASTA BRIYANI AND MASALA BREAD
- TOFU IN HOT GARLIC SAUCE
- MIXED VEGETABLES AND SPROUTS KICHADI – DIET SERIES...
- XAGAVE AND PEANUT CHIKKI WITH XAGAVE
- CRACKED WHEAT USILI – DIET SERIES #2
- BROWN RICE AND LENTIL SOUP – DIET SERIES #1
- SALMON CAKES/ CUTLETS
- ▼ May (15)
- ► 2009 (71)