MUSHROOM AND PEAS MASALA / GRAVY
Mushroom and peas masala is a simple gravy I make to go as a side dish for chapathis or idlis and dosas. The flavor builds up slowly as the ingredients are added by one slowly and gets cooked. To add some thickness to the gravy I usually add some ground small onions along with a few spices. A very spicy and tasty gravy ideal for weekend meals.
1. Onion, medium size, 1.
2. Roma tomatoes, 2.
3. Button mushrooms, 1 small packet.
4. Fresh or frozen peas, ½ cup.
5. Curry leaves, a few.
6. Cilantro, for garnishing.
7. Salt, as per taste.
8. Garam masala, ½ teaspoon.
9. Turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon.
10. Chili powder, 1-1/2 teaspoons.
11. Coriander powder, 2 teaspoons.
12. Fennel seeds, ¼ teaspoon.
1. Small onions, 2.
2. Ginger, a small piece.
3. Garlic 3 cloves.
Grind the required ingredients into a smooth paste and keep aside. Dice the onion and tomatoes into small pieces. The mushrooms can be thinly sliced or quartered. Heat a pan with a tablespoon of oil. Add the fennel seeds and fry for a few seconds. Then add the diced onions and curry leaves and sauté for a few minutes until the onions are translucent. Add the turmeric powder and diced tomatoes and keep sautéing until everything is blended. Add the ground paste now and keep frying until oil oozes out from the mixture. (Note that the ground paste must completely lose its raw flavor at this point). At this stage, add the chili powder, coriander powder, and garam masala along with the salt and keep frying everything under medium flame for 2 minutes until the spices lose their raw smell. Another teaspoon of oil can be added to fry the spices more quickly. Add the sliced mushrooms and peas and add enough water to cover everything, and let it simmer for 10 minutes until the mushrooms and peas are cooked. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with rice, chapathis, idlis, or dosas.
Dear friends, please check out my cookie recipe, which has also been published at the Xagave website, here .
- ► 2012 (9)
- MUTTAI SADAM/ EGG RICE
- MUSHROOM AND PEAS MASALA / GRAVY
- BROCCOLI PORIYAL/ STIR FRY
- TANDOORI CHICKEN
- BAKED BEANS – PRESSURE COOKER METHOD
- MIXED NUTS OATMEAL AND RAISIN COOKIES
- BOK CHOY KOOTU/DHAL - BOK CHOY WITH LENTILS
- KUMQUAT PICKLE - SPICY
- PASTA BRIYANI AND MASALA BREAD
- TOFU IN HOT GARLIC SAUCE
- MIXED VEGETABLES AND SPROUTS KICHADI – DIET SERIES...
- XAGAVE AND PEANUT CHIKKI WITH XAGAVE
- CRACKED WHEAT USILI – DIET SERIES #2
- BROWN RICE AND LENTIL SOUP – DIET SERIES #1
- SALMON CAKES/ CUTLETS
- ▼ May (15)
- ► 2009 (71)