Masala Vegetable Pasta
This is my first recipe for Kids Lunch Box Recipes Book Event conducted by Indusladies. I am always on the look out for easy lunch box recipes for my kids who are picky eaters, especially my son. The only lunch box food that he is happy about is mac 'n' cheese (daily), which I am not so happy about. The next alternative is pasta. I a try to make is colorful, which they like and I am also happy that I have included some veggies in their lunch and is more balanced that way. Coming on to this recipe, this is one of my kids favorite. This suits our taste buds, which prefers spicy Indian flavors. Sometimes I add some chicken or scrambled egg pieces in the end, to increase the protein content of the dish. Adding whole grain pasta is also another healthier option.
1. Pasta, smaller variety, so it will be easy for the kids to pick up with a fork, 1 cup. (whole wheat or wholegrain)
2. Onion, medium-size, 1, diced finely.
3. Tomatoes, 2, medium-size, chopped.
4. Green chili, 1, (optional).
5. Vegetables like carrots, green beans, cabbage, mushrooms, green peas etc. all coming around to a cup when chopped.
6. Ginger-garlic, paste, 1 teaspoon.
7. Turmeric powder, a pinch.
8. Chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon.
9. Garam masala, 1/2 teaspoon.
10. Salt as per taste.
11. Parmesan cheese, a little.
Cook the pasta according to the package instructions and keep aside. Heat a pan with a tablespoon of oil. Add the onions and sauté for a few minutes until transparent. Then add the chopped tomatoes, green chili, and ginger-garlic paste and keep sautéing until everything is blended. Add the turmeric powder, chili powder, garam masala, and salt and mix everything. Add the chopped veggies along with 1/4 cup of water, mix everything well. Cook under medium-low flame for 5-8 minutes until the vegetables are cooked and all the water is absorbed. Add the cooked pasta now, along with a little parmesan cheese, mix well, and serve.
Labels: Kids and Todller recipes
Cooking and trying out new recipes is my passion. I come from a family with where type 2 diabetes is very common and we have lost many loved one due to complications of this disease. This blog is my humble attempt to create low-carb and healthy dishes and well as healthy lifestyle tips suitable for diabetics. This blog is to prove that healthy, primarily diabetic-friendly foods, can be tasty as well. Kuhapriyai @ Gita