Wheat Rava Vegetable Pongal
One of my favorite comfort foods. Any kind of vegetables can be used here. Chopped spinach or any other greens like drumstick leaves, methi leaves etc can also be used here.
1. Wheat rava, 1 cup. I have used the bigger grain, the smaller ones can be used if preferred.
2. Moong dhal, 1/2 cup, cooked.
3. Cut vegetables like capsicum, carrot, cabbage, greens beans, peas etc, all coming around to a cup.
4. Peppercorns, 1/2 tablespoon.
5. Cumin seeds, 1/2 tablespoon.
6. Curry leaves, a sprig.
7. Chopped ginger, 1/2 tablespoon.
8. Broken cashews, 1 tablespoon.
9. Salt, as per taste.
10. Ghee, 1 tablespoon, (optional).
Heat a pan with a tablespoon of oil. Add the peppercorns, cumin seeds, and cashews and fry for a few seconds until the cashews turn brown. Now add the curry leaves, chopped vegetables and chopped ginger and keep frying under low flame for 2 -3 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Add 2-1/2 cups of water along with the rava, cooked dhal, and required salt and cook closed for 5-7 minutes until the rava is cooked and the desired consistency is reached. Add the ghee now and mix well. Serve hot with coconut chutney or sambar.
Cooking and trying out new recipes is my passion. I come from a family with where type 2 diabetes is very common and we have lost many loved one due to complications of this disease. This blog is my humble attempt to create low-carb and healthy dishes and well as healthy lifestyle tips suitable for diabetics. This blog is to prove that healthy, primarily diabetic-friendly foods, can be tasty as well. Kuhapriyai @ Gita