Green Apple Chutney/Thokku





Grocery shopping with kids is quite a show with the kids these days since they are in the "opinionated and expressive" stage.  My little guy was in a phase where he loved green apples and then it went to "I like only red apples only" phase.  Now I was left with almost half a dozen green apples, which no one wanted. The only way to finish these was to use it cooking and I had been using these apples in rasam, chutney and spicy salads.  Coming on to the recipe, this is originally my tomato thokkku recipe, where I used the tart apples instead. It was very good, and the tart apples balanced well with the heat and spices. I have paired it here with cracked wheat vegetable upma. This chutney goes well as side dish with rice, dosas, chapathis, and bread.

I have used very less oil here, so it looks a little thicker. You can add more oil in the end when the chutney comes together to give it a creamy texture.

Ingredients:
1. Green apples, 4. I have used granny smith apples here. Peel them and cut them into small cubes.
2. Ginger, a small piece.
3. Mustard seeds, 1/2 teaspoon.
4. Cumin seeds, 1/2 teaspoon.
5. Turmeric powder, 1/4 teaspoon.
7. Chili powder, 1 teaspoon.
8. Fenugreek powder, a pinch.
9. Hing, 1/4 teaspoon.
10. Curry leaves, a few.
11. Salt, as per taste.

Preparation:
Grind the apples and ginger together into a coarse mixture. You can also grate the apples if preferred. Heat a pan with a tablespoon of oil. Once the oil turns hot, add the mustard seeds and let it splutter. Then add the cumin seeds and fry for a few seconds. Now add the rest of the ingredients and keep sauteing under low flame until the apples are cooked and the chutney comes together. This will take around 10 minutes.  If preferred more oil can be added in the end.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

this recipe sounds to be different and useful, thank you for sharing

Jay Ren said...

I have been looking for some different, healthy recipes. Thanks for sharing!