MUTTAI SADAM/ EGG RICE
This is my grandma’s take on egg fried rice. Growing up, this used to be a regular lunch box menu for me; a complete one-pot meal and simple preparation also, just scramble the eggs with the spices and add in the rice. These days, I spice it up a little bit by adding some extra green chilies and some whole peppercorns. This egg rice goes well with any spicy side dish. This time I have served this egg rice with cucumber raita and brinjal fry.
1. Cooked brown rice, 1 cup.
2. Medium-size red onions, 2.
3. Green chilies, 2-3 depending upon preferred heat level.
4. Whole pepper corns, ¼ teaspoon. This can be omitted if preparing for kids.
5. Fennel seeds, ½ teaspoon.
6. Curry leaves, a few leaves.
7. Chopped cilantro, for garnishing.
8. Eggs, 3. Substitutes like Egg Beaters also work well here.
9. Salt as per taste.
10. Ginger-garlic paste, 1 teaspoon.
Slice the onions thinly and slit the green chilies into two. Heat a pan with a tablespoon of oil. Add the fennel seeds and peppercorns once the oil is hot and fry them for a few seconds. Then add the sliced onions and curry leaves and sauté for a few minutes until the onions are tender. Next add the ginger-garlic paste along with the slit green chilies and salt and keep sautéing under medium flame until everything is well blended. Break in the eggs now and scramble the eggs until the eggs are cooked. Once the eggs are cooked, add the cooked rice, mix everything well, and let it sit under low flame for 5 minutes. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot with any spicy side dish.
- ► 2012 (9)
- MUTTAI SADAM/ EGG RICE
- MUSHROOM AND PEAS MASALA / GRAVY
- BROCCOLI PORIYAL/ STIR FRY
- TANDOORI CHICKEN
- BAKED BEANS – PRESSURE COOKER METHOD
- MIXED NUTS OATMEAL AND RAISIN COOKIES
- BOK CHOY KOOTU/DHAL - BOK CHOY WITH LENTILS
- KUMQUAT PICKLE - SPICY
- PASTA BRIYANI AND MASALA BREAD
- TOFU IN HOT GARLIC SAUCE
- MIXED VEGETABLES AND SPROUTS KICHADI – DIET SERIES...
- XAGAVE AND PEANUT CHIKKI WITH XAGAVE
- CRACKED WHEAT USILI – DIET SERIES #2
- BROWN RICE AND LENTIL SOUP – DIET SERIES #1
- SALMON CAKES/ CUTLETS
- ▼ May (15)
- ► 2009 (71)