Spinach And Black Eyed Peas Tomato Rice
Dishes like these are ideal lunch box recipes for me since they are well balanced and I do not need to pack anything else. We can play around and change the veggies and the protein like adding chickpeas, green peas, or soya chunks instead. I sometimes make this with brown rice, diabetic rice, or quinoa. Usually I pack yogurt and fruits to make it a complete meal and all is done in an hour in the morning rush.
1. Cooked rice, 3 cups.
2. Diced onion, 1 cup.
3. Chopped tomatoes, 2 cups. (You can peel the skin of the tomatoes if preferred. For this put an "X" with a paring knife and immerse the tomatoes in boiling water for 30 seconds. Then immerse them immediately in ice water. This will stop the cooking process and the skin can be peeled off easily).
4. Ginger-garlic paste, 1/2 teaspoon.
5. Green chilies, 2, slit into 2.
6. Cooked black eyed peas, 1 cup.
7. Washed and chopped spinach, 1 cup.
8. Bell peppers or any other vegetables like carrot, green beans etc, 1 cup.
9. Turmeric powder, 1/4 teaspoon.
10. Mustard seeds, 1/4 teaspoon.
11. Fennel seeds, 1/2 teaspoon.
12. Urad dhal, 1/2 teaspoon.
13. Channa dhal, 1/2 teaspoon.
14. Dried red chilies, 1, break them into 2.
15. Salt, as per taste.
16. Curry leaves and chopped cilantro for garnish.
Heat a pan with a tablespoon of oil. Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds and let it splutter. Now add the fennel seeds, channa dhal, urad dhal and broken dry red chilies and fry for a few seconds. Now add the diced onions and saute until tender. Add the chopped tomatoes, chopped bell peppers, green chilies, ginger-garlic paste, curry leaves, and turmeric powder at this stage and keep sauteing until everything is well blended. Add salt now and mix well. After this add the black eyed peas and chopped spinach; mix everything well and let the spinach wilt. Now add the cooled rice and mix well. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve.
Cooking and trying out new recipes is my passion. I come from a family with where type 2 diabetes is very common and we have lost many loved one due to complications of this disease. This blog is my humble attempt to create low-carb and healthy dishes and well as healthy lifestyle tips suitable for diabetics. This blog is to prove that healthy, primarily diabetic-friendly foods, can be tasty as well. Kuhapriyai @ Gita