SCONES WITH DILL AND SCALLIONS




SCONES WITH DILL AND SCALLIONS
This recipe is an adaptation from Ina Garten’s dill scones. This was my first attempt at making scones and they turned out pretty well. The only thing was that I rolled them a bit thinner than the regular scones but the taste was good. I combined these scones with French onion soup. The only difference from the original recipe is that I have used some scallions (green onions) and used very little dill leaves, omitted the eggs (she had used around 4 eggs for 2 cups of flour), and substituted whole milk for cream. Here goes the recipe:

INGREDIENTS:
Whole wheat pastry flour, 2 cups.
Baking powder, 2 tablespoons.
Cheddar cheese, 1 cup.
Fresh dill leaves, 1 small bunch.
Scallions, 1 bunch.
One stick of unsalted butter.
Whole milk, around ½ cup.
Salt, 1 teaspoon.

PREPARATION:
Chop the dill and scallions finely. Put the whole wheat flour in a large bowl and add the baking powder and salt and mix well. Cut the butter into small cubes and add it to the flour and start kneading until the flour mixes with the butter and reaches the consistency of small peas. Add the dill, scallions, and cheddar cheese and mix everything well. Pour in the milk slowly and knead into dough. More milk can be added accordingly. Roll out the dough into a big circle of width around ¾ of an inch. Cut out small circles from the dough of around 10 cm diameter. A cookie cutter can be used for this. I just used a lid of a pickle jar. Arrange them on a cookie sheet greased with any nonstick spray and coat each scones with some oil or egg wash (I coated them with canola oil). Bake them for 20-25 minutes at 200 degrees, let them cool for 10 minutes and enjoy the scones with any soup or by itself.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats such a yummy treat i guess

Raks said...

Sounds new to me and looks good too Gita!

Priya Suresh said...

Wow i love this sort of scones, looks scrumptious Gita...

Shama Nagarajan said...

new one..delectable one...thank u for encouraging me in my handicrafts ......

Vikis Kitchen said...

New to me . But seems so delicious and healthy. Divine scones..

Adlak's tiny world said...

its new to me and looks gr8. lovely scones.

Cham said...

Savory and healthy one, I am ready to grab one, looks delicous

Vibaas said...

Looks yummy gita. I see recipes of scones everywhere but have never tried before. will add it to my todo list :)

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

very new to me. pic looks yummy.

Rajani said...

scones with dill and scallions - the name itself is so mouthwatering. i love dill!! must have been very flavourful.

Jaishree Iyer said...

Sounds new to me and looks delicious Gita.

AnuSriram said...

Wow.. I could imagine the flavour of dill in the scones! Delicious!

Vijitha said...

WoW! delicious gita! yum!

vidhas said...

Sounds great, and i am hearing for the first time. looks yummy.

Nithya Praveen said...

Awesome....never hear abt this.Looks wonderful Gita!

Vijitha said...

Trail back girl I have somethin for you in my blog!

Chitra said...

completely new to me.Looks yumm...

DK said...

I love scones. The recipes sounds v simple and interesting. Never used scallions for a scone before! Good one.

Vaishali said...

I love savory scones, and these scones will dill and scallions sound simply superb. Truly lovely, Gita.