BARLEY AND MIXED VEGETABLES SOUP
This is a simple and easy-to-prepare healthy soup, a filling lunch or dinner when combined with a salad or any whole grain bread. I had this soup with a simple carrot and moong dhal salad. This soup can also be prepared in a pressure cooker to reduce the cooking time, just add all the ingredients for the soup and pressure cook for whistles for upto 10 whistles and the soup is ready! The barley can be used as it is or it can be soaked for a couple of hours before adding it to the soup. This also reduces the cooking time by half.
1. Barley, 1/2 cup.
2. Onion, medium size, 1, diced into small cubes.
3. Diced canned tomatoes, 1/2 cup (or) regular roma tomatoes, 2.
4. Garlic, 2 pods, crushed coarsely. (This can also be substituted with 1 teaspoon of ginger-garlic paste).
5. Diced mixed vegetables like carrots, green beans, peas etc all coming around to a cup.
6. Salt and pepper as per taste.
7. Any preferred seasoning herb mix or soup mix, 1 teaspoon. (Even chicken or vegetable bouillon cubes can be added here).
Heat a pot with a tablespoon of oil. Once the oil is hot, add the diced onions and saute for a couple of minutes until the onions are translucent. Then add the crushed garlic and the seasoning mixture and fry for a few more seconds. Now add the diced tomatoes, mixed vegetables, and barley and mix everything under low flame for 2-3 minutes. Add 4 cups of water along with salt and pepper and let it cook closed for 20-30 minutes until the barley and the vegetables are tender. Alternatively pressure cook everything for 10 minutes for up to 2 whistles. Garnish with any preferred herbs and serve hot.
- ▼ February (5)
- ► 2012 (9)
- ► 2009 (71)